Saturday, July 15, 2006

Missoula, MT

Hanging out in Missoula today and tomorrow. Got into town last night after about 81 miles, about 50 of which were into a strong headwind (20-25 mph). Now that I've come to realize my love of climbing mountains and reasonable enjoyment of headwind (it kept me cooled off and added a balancing challenge), I admit that I've officially gone insane. I knew it was bad when I started to prefer a headwind to a tailwind, a parallel preference of uphill over downhill.

Upon embarking on the last 25 miles of yesterday's ride (after a refreshingly nutritious snack of cinnamon rolls and Coke), I noticed that my tire pressure was incredibly low. Welcome to my first flat tire of the trip. This was entirely my fault because I am overdue for a tire change but thought that I'd make it through to Missoula simply by rotating my tire a few days back. At least it was a slow leak and allowed me to ride the last 25 miles, albeit more slowly, pumping it up occasionally. Picked up the new tire today, and receive the new tube in the mail tomorrow.

Yesterday's highlight included meeting Forrest Rowell, his brother, mom, and friend on the side of the road. It was an honor to meet and chat with him; he just returned from the NAUCC (North American Unicycle Championships and Convention) where he won the overall Mountain Unicycling competition. That's amazing, and a pleasant surprise while riding along an interstate in the middle of Montana.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep it up, Goobs!

Anonymous said...

Hey Gracie, don't forget to apply HOT WATER- as hot as you can stand to mosquito bites to stop the itch.
I greatly enjoy your posts, especially the road kill score. Just wondered though... have you seen any squished monkeys or hamsters?
Kudos, Leon in Vero Beach, FL

Matt Boulanger said...

Hi from Missoula Gracie- didn't know you were here or even coming through here. Anyway, if nobody has pointed you toward any ice cream in town yet you'll have to get yourself over to the Big Dipper on South Higgins before you leave. I'm an aspiring distance/climbing unicyclist myself who's just learning his way around a 29er right now. Anyway good luck and godspeed. I'd ride with you but I'll be outta town tomorrow.

Best,

Matt

rhondajo said...

Hi Gracie! Got the postcard today and wow, Montana is just beautiful!. Hope you and your Dad are faring well. I just can't believe how far you have come in such a relatively short period of time!! You are amazing. :) Much love,

Aunt Rhonda

Anonymous said...

Hey Bombs,

I biked to Mt. Vernon the other weekend and I about thought I was going to die. And I thought to myself...good lord, Sorbs is doing this on one wheel, oh, and about 3,000 more miles than me.

Point of story: I was thinking of you. Keep up the good work!

- - saddlebags

Anonymous said...

Where did you find it? Interesting read Pregnancy skin care patio heaters percocet Levaquin levitra search ionamin online maternity clothes incorporate pda Atomic boot bag Win playing roulette Honeywell humidifier wiring Fitness day job Methuselah financial planning platform chrysler neon diagnostic set blood pressure monitor Bontril pdm diet pills botox Hong kong dedicated server

Ryansgxt said...

Hey Bombs, I biked to Mt. Vernon the other weekend and I about thought I was going to die. And I thought to myself...good lord, Sorbs is doing this on one wheel, oh, and about 3,000 more miles than me. Point of story: I was thinking of you. Keep up the good work! - - saddlebags